Thursday, February 11, 2010

Crossing America Day #2

Day # 2: I might should go ahead and re-name this Crossing Texas and not Crossing America. 850 miles of the 2,000 miles we drove were spent driving through the HUGE state of TEXAS!

When we woke up on Day 2 in Vicksburg, MS, we spent about an hour driving along the Mississippi River looking at all the old homes. I have an obsession with history and old homes. I think I really just like to imagine me living in them during the old times. Once I was finally done daydreaming in Vicksburg, we were off and on the road again. We quickly crossed the Mississippi River and spent the next 3 hours driving through Louisiana. This drive was mostly swamplands. My grandma that passed away last year lived in Shreveport. It was sad that we couldn't stop and see her since it has been at least 10 years since visited down there.

Then we entered TEXAS...

Texas really should be its own country! I have never witnessed such state pride in all ways. I have never seen so many Texas flags or Texas stars on everything possible from a barn to a home to just a billboard!! I think I like it though and everywhere we stopped (I had to pee like every 30 mins) felt so homey and everyone was nice!

The first hour in Texas was boring and my mom wouldn't shut up about wanting to see oil drills (or whatever they are) and we weren't seeing them yet. Then the ranches started. Ranch, another ranch, another ranch. I made mom read off all the names of the ranches. Quite entertaining and I think I want to make a vaca to a ranch in Texas one day. Then came Dallas. Dallas and Ft Worth felt like they were never going to end....and I mean never...haha.

Then we passed more ranches, more ranches, and more ranches. Then the oil drills and windmills. It was really neat though and I felt like I was in a different country. That was pretty much what we saw for the next like 5 hours. Then we made it to Odessa and still in oil country! Odessa for night # 2!!!


VICKSBURG, MS
Bridge over the Mississppi


Old home by the river


Another old home by the river


and another old home by the river


view looking up @ downtown from the river


Almost in Louisiana!

Welcome to Louisiana!!

Always stopping at the rest areas...

Shreveport...where Irene lived

Welcome to Texas

Don't mess with TEXAS!

Almost to Dallas...before the rain.

Texas Flags everywhere

Windmills before dark


They were HUGE!


No comments:

Post a Comment